Brain Dump - Personalities in 1 Samuel 17

Goliath
- An instrument of Satan
-- Not representative of Satan himself, because we cannot kill Satan
--- In Revelation, Satan bound, then later cast into the lake of fire

- Sin
- Sinful people, perhaps
-- can't kill people, but can sever the link between demonic influencers and the influenced

Saul
Had the responsibility and the authority, but not the courage
- president, principal, leader

"with great power comes great responsibility"

"to him whom much is given, much shall be required"

Eliab
Per chpt 16, Eliab had 3 things going for him, 3 things that made Samuel think, "Surely the Lord's anointed is before him." -- Eliab was the first-born, he had a good (perhaps kingly) countenance, and he was tall.

Didn't get the position he'd wanted
- but also didn't have the backbone to stand against Goliath

When David starts to do something about Goliath, Eliab's envy manifests and he plays mind-reader.
- we, too, when a peer
-- gets 1st chair instead of us,
-- gets to be on the worship team and we do not
-- gets the lead role in a play
-- gets a better promotion than us

Jesse
Too old for the battle (even adult men considered Jesse to be an old man)
But sent support to the battle
- finances
- prayer
- time
- food

I will not let the things I cannot do keep me from doing the things I can do.

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do." - Edward Everett Hale

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do." - Helen Keller

David
Anointed/Empowered and Courageous
Answered Eliab by saying, "Is there not a cause?"
Acts 1:8 -- "witnesses" also means "martyrs"

No comments:

Post a Comment